You know what I just realized? Aya was on this ship full of admittedly pretty manly dudes with a lot of manpain and yet the male gaziest look at Aya was from Drusa’s perspective, who, you know, was a villain and was looking at Aya like, “Damn girl, you a fine piece of machinery.”
And I think that’s a big deal because like, she was looking at Aya and complimenting her looks as a machine and was later on trying to delete and remove all of Aya’s most sophisticated functions (Her personality, emotions, learning capabilities) and holy shit that says so much like hey kids people who see you as objects are not cool and are going to try and make you an object if you’re not careful.
I mean the show definitely could have used more lady friendships because when it had them it did them pretty well (Ghi’ata’s admiration and faith in Carol was so cute and sweet and completely kicked the idea of hostility between women and love triangle tropes in the pants! WHY GHI’ATA WHYYYYY) but like, I thought the Drusa/Aya thing was really cool and says a lot about parasitic relationships.
Wow, you’re awesome, nitewrighter!
This is a great analysis. I hadn’t thought about Drusa’s arc with Aya from that specific perspective.
Green Lantern was worth watching for this scene.
"That’s Hal’s hangup. That thing on his face, it’s a mask. He wears it in case some Earthling climbs aboard the Interceptor, while we’re in space mind you, and says ‘AHA! THE GREEN LANTERN ON MY PLANET IS HAL JORDAN! I’M TELLIN’ EVERYONE!’"
"HA HA. Talk to me when your planets invent paparazzi and the 24-hour news cycle."
GLTAS ~ Let’s hear it from the ladies ~ strong, powerful, independent characters some of who were great inspirations for our daily lives. Even the lady villains were never to be underestimated and were portrayed with equal commanding presence on screen as their male counterparts.
GLTAS does boast a great variety of ladies in the cast.
SPOILERS BELOW (for the pictured ladies)
- Sayd - Oan Guardian and council member, Aided creating the source Blue Lantern Battery
- Iolande - Queen of Betrassus, Green Lantern
- Ilana - Razer’s signifigant other, voice of reason
- Aya - just THE SHOW, watch it
- Carol Ferris - CEO/head of Ferris Air, Star Sapphire, chosen representative of love
- Scar - Oan Guardian and Science Director
- Ghia’Ta - Star Sapphire, right hand to Aga’Po, grassroots revolutionary
- Aga’Po - Queen of Zamaron, founder of the Star Sapphires
- Galia - warrior of the Zor, cook, Star Sapphire
- Lady Catherine - inventor of the steampunk Green Lantern suit (among other things), Engineer, Political Revolutionary
- Drusa - Engineering genius, space pirate
- Biara Rev - Senior Geologist, inventor of geothermal tech making colonization possible, widow of Shyir Rev, mother of Amala Rev
- Bleez - second in command of the Red Lanterns, right hand to Prime Magistrate Zilius Zox
I can dream can’t I?
Indigo was fun to draw cause it gave me a chance to design her in the animated style since she never shows up in the show and I love Saint Walker and Atrocitus in the show much better than in the comics.
Dear Mr. Keaton,
This kills the Fantern.
P.S. Seriously though, thank you for sharing. Kudos to whomever created that.
(A homage to the space opera that is GLTAS)
11x17 print available during Wondercon 2014 @ AA-110
Kevin will be at WonderCon with this print in the Artist Alley.
Green Lantern ladies of all different colors.Probably already been done before, but meh, whatever!
lantern corps; star sapphires
for hearts long lost and full of fright
for those alone in blackest night
accept our ring and join our fight
love conquers all - with violet light!
No man escapes the Manhunters.
But I am no man.
More named, memorable ladies with varied faces and builds who have have been given story and motivation than can fit in the photoset slots, even. Which is more than some “mature” media stories (aimed at adults) and not limited by the number of CGI models they get to construct can claim. :)